Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I Am Back

I have had a lot of ups and downs since my last post. My ankle pain continued to plague me. I ended up quiting Grindstone at 30 miles, but because of the remoteness of that race, I had to walk 20 more miles to drop out.
Things were no better in November for MMTR 50 mile, but I tried it any way. I got pulled at 17 miles because I didn't make the time cutoff.
I found a great orthopedic doctor. I mostly took 2.5 months off from running. I started cross training like a maniac.
About 5 weeks ago I really got serious about losing more weight and started running barefoot on the track at the YMCA. I started very slowly with 20 minute runs. I am up to 45 minutes now and it fells great. My feet were sore for a while, now the only problems I am having is blisters on my left foot, but those will get better with time as my feet get tougher. I bought vibram 5 finger shoes www.vibramfivefingers.com . I have only run in them once because of all the snow we have had this winter. I have worn them to church and to the store a couple of times, but honestly, walking in them really makes my feet hurt. It seems a lot easier to run in them.
I will try to post regularly again. I pray that running barefoot is going to be the answer for me. I hope that I will be able to continue to run for many years. My daughter says she is going to start running and I have a granddaughter that says she wants to run with me someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment