Saturday, May 8, 2010

Bluestone Trail

As most of you know, I have been running in my VFFs shoes for a while now. I have been easing into them. I started very slowly, the way you are supposed to start something new. It is working out great. I have been running in them exclusive now for several weeks. On trails too. I love the forefoot running stile. I believe it will allow me to continue to run for a long time.
I finally got to run on a tougher trail today. This is by no means a technical trail, but it has more real world stuff than the Fayetteville trails that I have been running. Mud, tall grass and weeds, water. Today was the most trouble that I have had with the Vibrams. The model that I have, the Treks which are made from kangaroo leather. Apparently kangaroos must expand a lot when they get wet, because those shoes got huge when they get wet. I purposely walked slowly through a creek, because I wanted to see what would happen when they got wet. After they got wet, they would not stay on properly. My toes kept coming out of the toe pockets and the shoes would slide around on my feet.
The real problem is that now I can't run in regular shoes. When I run in regular shoes, they hurt the top of my feet and my right ankle hurts also. I have been thinking about getting a more minimalist type of shoe for trail running and just wear the Vibrams on the road and the more tame trails.
I wish that I had my camera today, because there was this really cool thing that kept happening today. The trail is getting really over grown with grass and weeds and wild flowers. I kept getting grass and little flowers and stuff stuck between my toes. It looked cool running with flowers between my toes.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I couldn't join you Kenny. I'm in this non-running mood at the moment. I had a lot going on yesterday. I want to lose weight, I want to heal up. I want to get some stuff done around the house to get ready for 3-4 months of hard running for Massochist. Don't get too soft on me in the mean time. "little flowers stuck between my toes", I think you've been on the trail alone a little too long... :)

    ReplyDelete